|My name is Mrs Macfadyen, and I am in charge of the Library Resource Centre (also known as the LRC or Library). This page will tell you a little more about me and the pupils who help me.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are the answers to some questions that I get asked by every new bunch of S1 pupils
What does a Librarian do?
My main responsibilities are
- to make sure everyone has all the information they need for every subject and for as many interests as possible. The information could be in books or online or posters or in artifacts or in just talking to the right person.
- to work with departments to create and run investigations
- to teach information literacy - how to figure out what information you need, where to find it, how to use it and finally evaluate everything at the end.
- to use ICT in teaching and learning - evaluating and identifying all the best websites, running the school website, blogs, Glow and Twitter
- to encourage reading - buying the best books for reading, and making sure people know about them!
But every period of every day is different. I never know what I'll get asked about. That's what makes the job so interesting.
And every school is different, so every school library is different.
For example, I am also involved with the Photography Club with Ms Steinert, Creative Writing, Debating and investigations across the school.
Have you read ALL those books?
Most of them, although not always all the way through. Everybody likes reading different books, so there are some that I wouldn't like, same as you. On the other hand, people ask me for good books all the time, so I need to know what every book is about.
Do you LIKE being a Librarian?
Absolutely. I don't know why people think it's boring. It's busy and it's exciting and you never know what you'll be asked yet (or what you'll be told!)
One of my favourite parts of the job is teaching pupils how to find information for themselves, and then seeing them use their own imaginations to share it with their class and teachers.
And another is when someone returns a book you recommended and tells you it was BRILLIANT!
If you need to contact me, here are the details.
Mrs J L Macfadyen
Library Resource Centre
Our Lady's High School
Tel: 01698 274925
e-mail: jennifer.macfadyen @ ourladyshigh.n-lanark.sch.uk
(spaces have been added before and after the '@')